What’s the benefit of being physically active?
Physical activity is extremely important to health and wellbeing and can help in the prevention, treatment, and management of a range of health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, arthritis, obesity and many more conditions.
Being active also improves feelings of wellbeing, boosts self-confidence, improves sleep and helps with stress management. And it’s a great way of meeting new people and having fun!
What activities are available?
- Gym programme
- Supervised gym sessions
- Exercise to music
- Specialised classes
- Multi sports sessions
- Aqua aerobics
- Good Boost therapeutic exercise programme
- Health walks
What is the benefit of the scheme?
The BEATS physical activity programme that you will be following will be individually designed for you by a well-qualified exercise professional. It will be based on your medical needs, and your interests and preferences.
You will be encouraged to be physically active at a level you can cope with and based on your needs. The activities you will be taking part in will be explained and discussed with you in detail. In addition, throughout the referral programme, your progress will be monitored, and you will be given continuous support and advice.
During the physical activity referral period, you will experience the positive effects physical activity can have on your quality of life. You will also meet new people and hopefully enjoy yourself!
Your welcome session
In order to develop a physical activity programme specific to your needs you will need to attend a welcome session where your exercise professional will conduct some pre-exercise assessments/screening. It is necessary to carry out a pre-exercise assessment to find out what activity is most suitable for you and your health.
What is involved?
- A tour of the facilities.
- Your exercise professional will go through your medical and physical activity history including any medication you are taking.
- Discuss a range of activities most suited to your needs that you are most likely to enjoy.
- Book you into classes, gym, swimming and so much more.
- Boditrax assessment including body weight, muscle mass and fat percentage.
A copy of your activity programme will be sent to your GP for information.
How much will it cost?
- Your welcome session is free.
- You can then sign up to a membership at £18pm or Pay as you go for activities at £2.50 per session*
*Memberships and activities for GP referrals will be at a reduced rate, this will be discussed at your welcome session.
Are there any risks to my health?
There is always an element of risk associated with being physically active. However, these risks need to be put into context. Many thousands of patients have taken part in physical activity referral schemes and there are very few reported serious adverse events.
The pre-exercise screening is undertaken to identify any underlying risks and the exercise professional understands the importance of designing and developing a progressive physical activity programme to suit your needs and your abilities. To avoid the risk of injury, you should follow the physical activity programme exactly as directed by your exercise referral professional.
If I agree to take part in the referral scheme what do I have to do?
- Agree to attend your sessions regularly.
- Follow your physical activity programme as directed.
- Keep your exercise professional informed if you are unable to attend.
- Inform your exercise referral professional of any changes in your physical/emotional condition, or if your GP changes your medication or treatment programme.
- Tell your exercise professional if you experience any problems with your physical activity programme.
- Inform your exercise professional and your GP if you experience any of the following symptoms during your physical activity:
- Dizziness/feeling faint.
- Unusually short of breath.
- Chest pains.
- Musculoskeletal injury.
Any concerns or questions you have about your pre-exercise assessment, or taking part in BEATS are actively encouraged. You are also encouraged to ask your exercise professional questions about your physical activity programme or the scheme at any time.
Tel: 01229 871146
Barrow Park Leisure Centre, Greengate Street, Barrow-In-Furness LA13 9DT